Making Headway is a new service we are developing, to support those directly affected by ABI who want to access activities of their choice in their communities.
Volunteers in this project will be ‘buddies’, supporting their befriended user. You will help them to rebuild confidence, develop a new independence, and encourage them to make connections through following their own interests.
This may be everyday things, such as going out for coffee; engaging with a hobby, activity or social group; using their lived experience to provide support, training or advocacy for others affected by ABI.
You will receive training and ongoing support, the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge for yourself, as well as having the satisfaction of seeing your buddy achieve their goals.
for an informal chat and more information please contact Tricia our Making Headway Coordinator
We’re fundraising so we can run services and deliver support for people with an Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) in Somerset
As our Fundraising Volunteer you will support your Fundraising Manager in a variety of ways including;
- Local fundraising activities and events throughout the year. This can be anything from stewarding to running a stall
- Larger events, you’ll help with planning events, preparation and making sure everything runs smoothly on the day.
- Research – looking in local opportunities
In this role you’ll be able to develop your organisation, communication and team working skills.
Most importantly you’ll inspire your local community to raise funds that help people in Somerset with ABI the best possible opportunities.
What the role involves
This role may vary depending on needs, but is likely to include:
- Maximising funds raised as part of a team or fundraising group
- Assisting at fundraising events throughout the year
- Developing links with local organisations and participating in fundraising opportunities
We can support you to develop the skills you need for this role, including an induction into all the areas outlined. You will have a chance to meet people, make new friends, raise funds for a fantastic cause and have fun
For more details and an informal chat contact our Fundraising Manager Krista Felek on Krista@headwaysomerset.org.uk
Rehab Centre Volunteer
As a charity volunteers are an essential and valued part of the team at Headway Somerset, and work closely with our clients to support them in activities to recapture old skills and to develop new interests and skills.
In volunteers we look for friendly and approachable individuals who are keen to make a difference in someone’s life by delivering or supporting an activity or simply by being a listening ear. Volunteers help with the following:
- Delivering activities from their own skill set including (but not limited to); gardening, arts and crafts, woodwork, IT, complimentary therapies, flexercise, sewing,
- Supporting individuals with their agreed rehabilitation aims e.g. reading, daily living skills, planning, budgeting, shopping, etc.
- Encouraging communication and engaging in conversations with clients about their thoughts, feelings and emotions
We appreciate any time someone can offer to contribute to our services and work with clients. Ideally we would like a set number of hours each week to help with maintaining familiarity and for session planning, however we are flexible.
Support you will be given:
All volunteers will receive an induction and training around brain injury and support to help with working with individuals and understanding behaviours. Volunteers will have ongoing support from knowledgeable and experienced staff. Volunteers will also have the opportunity to attend group reflective practise sessions as well as the opportunity to meet with the Volunteer Coordinator and other Headway Somerset Volunteers.
- Rewarding position knowing you are helping others
- New skills for your cv
- Become part of a friendly and caring team
- Something to help boost your confidence
- The chance to meet new people
- For more details and an informal chat contact us email@example.com
Volunteer Case Studies
Our new phone line, 01823 215014. Funded by a family member of someone who uses our services. This line will offer: Information and support, links to local groups and services and can refer people to receive regular friendship calls through our Buddying project...
Many thanks to Paul Henry for letting is use this image of 100 flowers for 100 days of lockdown A very special image thank you
Did you know that whenever you buy anything online – from your weekly shop to your annual holiday – you could be raising free donations for Headway Somerset with easyfundraising? There are over 4,000 shops and sites on board ready to make a donation – including eBay,...